November 4, 2009

NOT Fred Meyer


I have an obsession. I think it's safe to say that's what I've been diagnosed with. It's more than just a like or a love, it's definitely an obsession. With my favorite store ever, Smith's Marketplace.

I think I realized this the most tonight when I was just stopping there to pick up some face wash for Tyson. Of course I couldn't just get face wash. I also couldn't leave the store without making my rounds, checking out the sales and paying my favorite aisle's a visit. It's a routine. It has to be done. Every time. And it always leaves me pleased!

You see, I started shopping at Smith's MP (also known as SMP for shortest terms) last year. It was just down the street from my house and it was convenient. I liked it alright. I had transitioned from Lee's to Smith's to SMP. At first I was just fine and happy with it. Getting to know the store, where everything was located, how to organize my grocery list, etc. etc. I think this "getting to know you" game lasted all of last school year. Sometimes you have to create a real bond with something in order to really love it!
Well, needless to say, I missed my SMP this summer while I was studying abroad in Italy where finding a store like SMP was impossible. The grocery store was sufficient enough for the four weeks I was in Italy, but it was nothing like my beloved SMP.

This year I came back up to school and was so pleased to still be living so close to SMP and able to shop there. Tyson has tried to convince to shop elsewhere--aka Wal-Mart (gross), but I just can't do it. I went to Wal-Mart in an attempt to switch and I was so lost. I couldn't get my list organized. I couldn't feel the warmth and homey feeling that SMP always gives me. So I think I'll stay at SMP.

Now, before I conclude this little post, I will tell you why I heart SMP so much. (Actually, it's a big post. They always are. I'm just too wordy).

I love the sale bins. This might be my favorite part. Walking in the door to all those items on sale! They are always great too! Although I sometimes feel like I need to buy at least one of every item on sale, then I remind myself I already have that same oatmeal or I would never eat 4 for 10 Blast' O Butter popcorn. Still, seeing those bins makes me happy. I also love that it's not just Smith's, so if you need a good pair of socks or some housewares items or shoes, you can have it all. SMP offers everything, just like Wal-Mart, but definitely more personable and better. I love the way I know the store and the route I always take. I love the people that work there. I love the no lines. I love the lighting in the store. I just love it all.

See? This is why I'm obsessed. SMP is the place. Check it out if you haven't been there yet. It will not disappoint!

3 comments:

Tim & Lisa Hale said...

Oh my this is quite the obsession, I will have to shop their sometime instead of the regular smith's and see if I like it!

martha said...

I miss Smith's Marketplace.. Remember when I would go there sometimes just to look for an hour or two instead of going home? We spent a lot of time there. So many memories in that place!
martha

Kenzman said...

Dear Katie,

Sometimes I read your blog. And I love it.

Love your creepy old friend,

Kenzie